• Murtaza Wahab said only the mosque officials, including the Imam will offer prayers in the mosque.
  • The ban will be effective from March 27 to April 5: Wahab.
  • Spokesperson says decision has been taken after consultation and discussion with Ulema of different schools of thought.

(Karachi) As part of precautionary measures to contain spread of coronavirus, Sindh government has imposed a ban on congregation prayers, including Friday prayers, media has reported.

Sindh Government spokesperson Murtaza Wahab said only the mosque officials, including the Imam will offer prayers in the mosque. Moreover, only three to five people will offer prayers inside the mosque, Wahab maintained.

He said the ban will be effective from March 27 to April 5. He mentioned that the decision has been taken after consultation and discussion with Ulema of different schools of thought.

Earlier in a briefing to media, Religious Affairs Minister Noorul Haq Qadri said that the government decided to restrict congregational prayers in mosques. He said congregations and prayers will continue to be held in mosques but in a limited capacity.

He said sick people and children are advised to offer prayers at home. He said that Ulema of all sects have agreed to follow the decision.

President Dr Arif Alvi also urged Ulema to advise and educate the people to stay indoors and offer their prayers in their homes to help contain spread of covid-19.

The president emphasized that only solution to present crisis is to maintain social distancing and act upon the guidelines provided by Islam to cope with such situation.